Friday, December 26, 2014

Fabric choice

When I am making custom quilts for customers, sometimes they buy the material and bring it to me, but often times I am buying the material for them.

I often get asked, "Does it matter if I buy material at a discount store or a quilt shop?"

I quilt will both types of fabrics.  I think the most important thing is that you are making something you love!  If that means discount material then go for it.  BUT... You get what you pay for.

Just like most things, the higher costing material is better quality.  I make sure to either buy from my local quilt shop (I live in Utah and I ADORE Elaine's Quilt Shop), or a reputable online store.

The better quality will wash nicer, keep their color color better, and last longer.  

I know some quilters stick to 100% cotton only for their quilts, but I have found lots of different materials that are fantastic for quilting. 
 

So, figure out what type of quilt you want to make, who it is for, and how much you want to spend on materials.  Then get out there and start a project!!

One of my clients found this fun fabric at a discount shop.  It was exactly what she wanted for a quilt for a brother-in-law.


I bought this material from an Etsy shop called FabricCadabra.  The line is from Cotton+Steel.  My client wanted to make sure that she had the best quality material for a special bed set for her daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment